04 March 2010

Sunny Disposition

I'll admit it. I have a Negative Nelly side of me. Although lots of good things happen in my life, I tend to cautiously celebrate while waiting for that one bad thing to happen. I only wait for it because time and experience have taught me that its going to happen but I also know that I can loose track of whats good by focusing on the bad.  One of the most useful skills I've acquired in my 30s is the ability to fake positivity long enough to trick my psyche.  

Take the weather in the middle of Missouri this week.  The weather gurus said it was going to be 50 and sunny by the end of the week. Since I have been particularly desperate for temperatures above freezing and  for enough sun that sunglasses were required, I initially got really excited about the prospect of that kind of forecast.  That excitement could have been short-lived because that's exactly when Nelly shows up reminding me that its Missouri, in the spring, and weather offers no guarantees. But this week, because I wanted sun SO badly, I told Nelly to bite me. I want to look forward to warmer days, especially a nice Friday. Each day has been increasingly sunnier and warmer than the day before and I let the excitement that comes when you wake up to sun pushing through the blinds in the morning overtake me. Although Nelly is still there, this time, positivity wins. 

1 comment:

  1. I have no Nelly to temper my excitement. I'm looking at the promise of a warmer weekend (even if it rains as expected on Saturday). I'm looking at a sunny and ALMOST 60 on Sunday. Ahhhh. Here's to hope.

    ReplyDelete