31 March 2010

Eat This

The hubs read a book about food processing or eating organically or something and decided to experiment with a meatless life style for 30 days. With the exception of a couple of of times when I just couldn't say no to the meat cravings, I've been a willing accomplice.

There are definitely times when eating meat seems easier, like this one time when we were having people over for dinner. An unexpected meatless meal seemed be difficult to explain or expect other people to agree to try but we have wonderfully supportive friends who just went along with us.

The totality of my menu planning is fueled by Real Simple recipes and regularly they offer great looking vegetarian meals that I usually don't bother to make. Since we aim to cook dinner at home at least twice a week. This has been an opportunity to try out lots of different things I have never considered before.

This week I picked the potato-leek-flatbread (below, left) because I like potatoes and leeks and cheese. The hubs picked the polenta pizza (below,right) because...well, I don't know, I guess he likes polenta.

The flatbread was Monday night's dinner and it tasted as good as that photo looks. I went heavy on the Gruyere cheese and could have gone lighter on the leeks but definitely worth a repeat.  tonight, the polenta pizza gets a turn.


1 comment:

  1. As a periodic vegetarian, I wanted to pass along my 2 best tips for easy eating.

    1. Amy's meals. Hy-Vee carries quite a few of these products, even the SuperCenter has some choices. Tasty, nutritious and FAST. http://www.amyskitchen.com/products/index.php

    2. This one is not necessarily nutritious, but I need fast food options, and here is my favorite: 7-layer burrito at Taco Bell.
    http://www.tacobell.com/menuitem/7-Layer-Burrito

    Also, Taco Bell will substitute beans for meat in most of their other products.

    ReplyDelete