02 January 2011

Nothing says holiday like Walgreen's

Growing up, I lived in a house owned by my mother's, sister's husband, AKA my uncle. I don't know when it started but as long as I can remember, I've always called my uncle, Uncle. Others called him Uncle Carey or Uncle Cootie but to me he was and still is, just Uncle. It was a great house. A rambling ranch, with a basement. Plenty of room for adults to sit and talk and for kids to tear around like maniacs.  For many years, holiday dinners were hosted at our house and various family members would pile in to take on the ridiculously massive meal my Granny created.  No matter how much planning there had been or how many trips were made to the grocery or butcher no holiday meal was complete without a trip to Walgreen's on the day of. Wax paper, milk, eggs, cheese, plastic wrap, condensed milk, flour, and countless other basic items seemed to always disappear, right when we needed them. Often I'd be thrilled for the chance to ride along because it was a break from the hours of sous chef work I'd put in chopping onions, celery, carrots, and more onions. The best was when was able to drive by myself or take along my younger brother to make the traditional Walgreen's run.


This year, my younger brother came to visit me and the Hubs for Christmas at our house.  The menu was legit: Spiral sliced ham, beef rib roast, mashed sweet potatoes, wild rice pilaf, homemade parker house rolls, creamed spinach an apple chutney and a chocolate-almond torte for desert. We planned the menu a week in advance, we made a list and checked it twice, we shopped a week early and on Christmas day, we totally ran out of almonds. I didn't even have to think about it, I knew the traditional trip to Walgreen's would continue. 

1 comment:

  1. hate to imagine how much almonds cost at Walgreens... $18?

    ReplyDelete