19 November 2010

Nothing Changes but the Seasons

When I was in college a movie called Beautiful Girls was one of my absolute favorites. Its sort a grown up coming of age story from the perspective of a man who returns to his home town for a high school reunion. It's got laugh's, it's got drama, it's got Rosie O'Donnell and it's got an awkwardly realistic ending where one of the high school buddies offers the main character a farewell along the lines of "Come back and see us, nothing changes here but the seasons." 

Day to day living feels very much the same, I'd even say it seems boring most of the time. Then a big change happens and a friend moves away. All of a sudden I'm engulfed by the minutia, the tiny bits of life and relationship with that person that overtime became overlooked and unappreciated.  Game changed. Now, in my head, its all changes all the time. Nothing is the same. And I'm not convinced that this upside down world will ever right itself. Why did I not appreciate those little bits more while I could?


I've said a lot of goodbyes in my day. Its an geographical hazard when you live in a college town where residents tend to be more transient than most places. Whenever that happens, that scene from Beautiful Girls comes to mind because in my experience its so real. The leaving is such a big deal in the moment but there will come a point, and it's always sooner rather than later, when the change will feel less big.  And the distance will settle in. And equilibrium returns. And this becomes part of the story I tell about back in the day when those friends lived in that house. And the only thing that seems to change, is the season.

2 comments:

  1. Change is inevitable, but I like it in small doses, with time to get used to it. Like the growth of a child or a wrinkle on your face.

    Some wisdom (slightly paraphrased) from the Desert Fathers that has seeped into me over the years is "Wherever you find yourself, do not easily leave." Implications reach far beyond just my bodily location...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Nik. True and sad, but beautiful. Thanks for caring and for being willing to wait out some equilibrium. Love you.

    ReplyDelete