10 February 2011

Sugar free: Agave Nectar

Anyone who knows me can back me up when I say, I am not a spontaneous person. Nor am I lazy. But for reasons I still cannot understand, I keep doing things with little to no thought and no research.

First it was going sugar free. Then it was grabbing a bottle of agave nectar without know exactly what it was or how it would work.  I won't say I was desperate to find something to sweeten my coffee but I will say that after 1 day of drinking my morning coffee straight up, I was open to any and almost all options. 


The weekly trip to my local grocer, Hy-Vee, definitely took longer because I had to read labels of things I would normally just buy, like bread from the bakery. But I was thrilled to find multiple sugar free bread options provided by a local business, Uprise Bakery. I might have gotten carried away and bought a ciabtta and a sourdough loaf. I rationalize my choice because I did plan to use the ciabatta for the Mushroom and Herb Strata and so clearly two different breads were a necessity. 

And all that brings me to the agave nectar because that is where I landed after cherishing my moments with the bread. I had heard of it, once, last weekend,  and I figured I'd buy it because I figured it couldn't make things taste worse. Thankfully, that gamble paid off and I have found a lifelong friend which derives from the same plant as Tequila and boasts a lower glycemic index than honey. Now, if I only knew exactly what "glycemic index" meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment