17 February 2010

I wasn't expecting that

For the first time in probably a decade (I do not like that I can account for time in decades), I decided to give up something for Lent. I'm used listening politely to what different people have chosen to give up for the Lenten season and then going on about my business.  For me, it has not seemed like something in which I needed to participate (kind of like watching the Olympics).  For reasons I still cannot explain, last night I felt strongly that I wanted to give up something. I had no idea what or why but I knew something had to go.  Honestly, I didn't want anything too hard. Coffee wasn't an option but things like chocolate or red meat seemed too easy because I have them so rarely.  I finally settled on the suggestion of a friend. Something that posed a personal challenge but not to the extent a week of detox was a requirement.

In the few hours that have passed this first day of Lent I have not had cravings for what I gave up but I have had an increased interest in the reason I've said no.  I'm excited about Lent 2010 because I come to it as a choice not an obligation. I'm looking forward to being a part of the conversation now and not only learning from others but having my own experiences to share.

2 comments:

  1. Are we to guess what you gave up? I'm guessing you are giving up giving complete information in blog posts.

    Good luck on the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going for mystery. But so you don't lose any sleep, I gave up bread.

    ReplyDelete